State-of-the-art Data Analysis for MacOS™
MacMCMC is a free and extremely powerful application for the analysis of data of any kind. It is one half of a two-part project. The other half is a free ebook—a strongly recommended preliminary—available here.
To see MacMCMC in action, consider this famous example from the literature (Arnold and Libby, 1949):
MacMCMC does not plot equations but, given its report, anyone can readily do that.
Note: The blue line in this plot uses mean estimates; the red line is the prior uncertainty for parameter A.
- Complete, standalone Mac application
- 100% Bayesian inference
- 100% ensemble MCMC
- Access to low-level options
- Parallelized for maximum speed
- Input data and model with ASCII plaintext (UTF-8)
- Live editing of model
- 27 built-in distributions
- 16 continous (incl. BivariateNormal)
- 8 discrete
- 3 (homogeneous) mixtures
- Normal and BivariateNormal
- Generic (user-defined) distribution
- 15 built-in functions
- [Optional] "Extras" category for ancillary quantities
- Output files for monitored variables
- MAP, Mean, Median, Mode and Gelman-Rubin statistic
- 90, 95 and 99-percent credible (HPD) intervals
- [Optional] Computation of log(marginal likelihood)
- Trace (thinned, tabular posterior)
- Plots of marginals
- Output as pdf and/or png
- [Optional] Editing of axis labels
- [Optional] Fourier smoothing of plot
- Trace comparison for selected chains
- [Optional] Special handling for built-in mixtures
- Automatic relabeling
- Output of class probabilities for datapoints
This package may be downloaded (4.6 Mb, zipped) for free at
No license or registration required.
MacMCMC is written for MacOS 10.11 (El Capitan) or later.
For those who prefer a simpler, frequentist application, Regress+ 2.7.5 is still available
Please send comments and any other feedback to
This page last updated on 3 May 2019.